Thursday, November 20, 2008

OCD

I'm MAJOR OCD!! (Obsessive compulsive disorder). Ever since I can remember I have been OCD. As a kid I was constantly cleaning and organizing my room and going through old clothes to get rid of! I don't necessarily have "rituals" but I have to have things done and kept a certain way.
For example: All our home decor must stay in the place that they're suppose to be and facing the right way, I keep our apartment extremely clean, I vacuum about 3x a week, both locks on the door must be locked, everything always put away, I do a load of laundry EVERYDAY and it gets put away that day, I empty our trash about every 2 days, etc. Obviously this disorder is VERY time consuming!
I like the fact that our apartment is clean and that I don't tolerate a messy home... but at the same time it is so frustrating! I can't relax or do anything if I feel like something is dirty or needs to be put away!! I wear myself out living like this- especially now since I have a home to keep up.
Matt is not OCD at all! It balances us out... but it also makes more work for me because he lets dishes and laundry sit out and I have to get up and put it away! He's gotten a lot better since we've gotten married... he's in training!! (Side note: something my mom taught me is to train your man!! I think Matt is about trained!!).
Not only have I taught Matt to be more clean, but he's taught me to be a little more relaxed. I'm still really OCD but since we've been married I let things get dirtier than usual before I clean! (Which is very realistic having 2 big dogs!)
I know I've going to have to loosen up when we have kids... but for now I'll follow the dogs around with the vacuum!!

4 comments:

Harry Mayer Clothiers said...

hahahaha!! Riles, believe it or not it runs in the family! You know I live like a pig in Meridian, but you wouldn't believe the neat freak I've become!! I'm the same exact way!! I feel like cleaning is my new job!

ChristineWinn said...

I am the same way. I have to make sure everything is clean before I can relax. We have a new family rule suggested by our marriage counselor. haha I am not allowed to clean like mop and vacuum except for on Sundays. The other days if I want to, it has to be for fun. The house is messy, but I have been trying. Because on Sundays I get to make Dan help!

sara said...

You are so funny!!! It is obvious you are OCD because you had to spell out what that meant!!! :)

don't worry, kids and life will loosen you up.....so for now, just enjoy having a clean home!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm OCD, too, but four kids and good medication has "cured" a lot of that!! Just always keep in mind what's really important in life!